- How is Liberapay funded?
- Liberapay is funded on Liberapay.
- Who can use Liberapay?
- In theory, anyone who has a bank account. In practice, payments may not work depending on where you live. Please contact us if you encounter any problems.
- Van-e lehetőségem egyszeri adományozásra?
- Liberapay is designed for long-term stable funding and only supports recurring gifts.
- What are the differences between Liberapay and other recurrent crowdfunding platforms like Patreon?
- Liberapay is only for donations, meaning that transactions must not be linked to a contract nor a promise of recompense.
- Liberapay is an open project structured around a non-profit organization, which sets it apart from commercial platforms like Patreon and Tipeee.
- We care about internationalization, our service supports multiple currencies and is translated into many languages (you can contribute).
If you'd like more details, the Snowdrift.coop folks have compiled a big list of crowdfunding platforms and the differences between them.
- Does Liberapay respect financial regulations?
- Yes. Liberapay is based in France and complies with the European Union's financial regulations. Our payment processors are all properly licensed, and they help us block fraud, money laundering, and terrorism financing.
- How do I know that my donation won't go to an impostor?
- You can usually check the authenticity of a Liberapay profile by looking at the social accounts connected to it. When a user connects an external account (for example a GitHub or Twitter account) to a Liberapay profile they automatically prove that they control these accounts. You can also look for a link to a Liberapay profile in a project's official website. Finally if you have doubts about a specific account you can ask us and we'll look into it.
- How do I know that my pledges won't be claimed by an impostor?
- A pledge is linked to an account on another platform (e.g. GitHub) and it can only be claimed by someone who controls this account.
- Which currencies are supported?
- We currently support two currencies: the euro (€) and the US dollar ($). We do not handle crypto-currencies like bitcoin.
- Milyen fizetési lehetőségek érhetőek el?
- We currently support most credit and debit cards (VISA and MasterCard), as well as bank wires and direct debits (SEPA only). More options will be added in the future.
- What are the payment processing fees?
The fees depend on the payment method as well as the currency.
When adding money into Liberapay the fees are:
euró USA-dollár Card 2.106% + €0.21 2.925% + $0.35 Bank wire 0.585% Direct debit 0,59 EUR not supported
Withdrawing euros to a SEPA bank account is free, transfers to other countries cost €2.93 each. Withdrawing US dollars costs $3.51 per transfer regardless of the destination country.
The fees listed above are only those from our payment processors, your bank can also charge you for each transaction, especially international ones. We have no control or visibility over your bank's fees.
There are no fees for transfers between Liberapay users.
- Is there a minimum or maximum amount I can give or receive?
There are no restrictions on the total amount you can give or receive, but for legal reasons you will need to provide identity documents if you give more than €2,500.00, or receive more than €1,000.00, per year.
The minimum you can give any user is €0.01. To minimize processing fees, we charge your credit card at least €15.00 at a time (the money is stored in your Liberapay wallet and transferred to others during Payday).
The maximum you can give any one user is €100.00 per week. This helps to stabilize income by reducing how dependent it is on a few large patrons.
- Do I have to pay taxes on the income I receive from Liberapay?
- We don't know, it's up to you to figure out your country's tax rules.
- Are donations through Liberapay tax-deductible?
- Probably not, but it depends on the tax rules of your country.